Army seeking applicants to become Heritage & Preservation Civil Affairs Officers

The US Army has published its job description for Heritage and Preservation Civil Affairs Officers. This new position has the SI (Skill Identifier) 6V and is within the new specialty (G) series within Civil Affairs. It says this position becomes effective in October 2019. Here is the full posting for the position:

Department of the Army
Pamphlet 611-21 (Smartbook)
End of Fiscal Year 2017
Personnel Selection and Classification
Military Occupational
Classification and Structure
Department of the Army
Washington, DC
1 November 2018
Prepared by Military Personnel & Structure Division (DAPE-PRP),

Code: 6V (Effective 201910)
Title: Heritage & Preservation
a. Description of positions. Identifies positions requiring knowledge and experience in administrating and managing activities regarding the safeguarding and preservation of cultural property.
b. Qualifications.
(1) Requires a master’s degree or higher, from a regionally accredited college or university, in anthropology, archeology, or other related fields of study; and a minimum of 36 months of civilian experience in cultural heritage.
(2) Validation of qualifications will be made by the Commandant, Civil Affairs Branch (AOJK-CA) of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, Ft Bragg, NC.
c. Restrictions. For use with any AOC (all components) in grades CPT-COL.

4 thoughts on “Army seeking applicants to become Heritage & Preservation Civil Affairs Officers

  1. Hello! I’m responding to the position titled Heritage & Preservation Civil Affairs Officer. I have over four years of archaeological field/survey experience and hold a BA in Anthropology with a specialization in archaeology. Additionally, I’m currently taking upper level biology and chemistry classes in order to receive my BS degree by Spring 2020. Afterwards, I will continue onto grad school but in the mean time I was wondering if my application can still be considered without a graduate degree. Thank you for your time and I will be looking forward to your response!

    Best Regards,
    Aaron Heck

  2. Hi Aaron,

    You would have to first receive a commission as an officer. This can be done in several ways:
    You could join your University’s Army ROTC and go that route.
    You could enlist, and then either try to get accepted into the Army Cadet program or else put in a packet for a direct commission once you’ve gotten your Master’s degree.

    Second, you would have to wait until you achieve the rank of Captain (it generally takes about 3-4 years from the time of commissioning to become a Captain), and then send in your application request.

    You would not actually have to commission as a CA officer. You could serve as an officer in any job in the Army. The important thing is to get the commission and then work your way up to being promoted to Captain.

    After you have achieved the rank of Captain (and have a minimal of a Master’s degree), send your credentials and request letter to the Commandant, Civil Affairs Branch of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg, NC.

    Once accepted for the position, you will be scheduled to be sent to a military school for Civil Affairs and for the Cultural Heritage functional specialty. Upon graduation from that school, you would be a 38G (Civil Affairs Officer) with a 6V Skill Identifier (SI). 6V would designate you as a Cultural Heritage Preservation Officer.

    In contrast, a regular Civil Affairs Officer would be a 38A as the A designates the generalist series and the G designates the specialist series for commissioned officers within Civil Affairs.

    Once you are a 38G, you would have a minimal three year commitment to that position.

    Let me know if you have any more questions.


  3. Hello James Carlson,

    In response to the recent post, I have a question about the third option to join the US Army. Since I will receive my Master’s degree in the next year, I may have fewer options. I have a similar academic background and considering applying. Normally, direct commission would be for JAG, medical, chaplain, or cyber. Would this be an exception to do direct commission?

    Mari Gutierrez

  4. Dear Mari Gutierrez,

    The direct commissioning would be for someone who is already enlisted and qualified in Civil Affairs. You could enlist, and, in a few years, put in a packet for direct commissioning as a Second Lieutenant. Then, in a few more years, once you achieve the rank of Captain, and have a minimum of 36 months of civilian experience working in cultural heritage, you could apply for the 6V position.

    James Carlson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.